Thursday, March 18, 2010

Help Me Replace My Tub Drain with a Toe Tap Drain.

Question: I have a manufactured home and I am trying to replace the toe-tap drain. However this is not as easy as it sounds. In looking at the drain stopper after I removed the top and rubber washer, there is what looks to be a very oversized screw. I have tried with a screw driver, quarter, and even a pair of scissors to remove this.

Am I not supposed to? If I am, is there a special tool I am supposed to use? Any help you can give me would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Jeff Jones
Answer: Yes you are correct there is a special tool called a "tub drain wrench". See the photo above. These wrenches are available at home stores or online.

To loosen the drain basket, insert the tongs of the wrench into the drain basket. The wrench has different sizes to fit all popular drains. Then, un-screw the basket. You will need to put plumber's putty on the new basket or toe-tap drain. Also, use a new rubber washer. The washer is installed between the tub and the drain on the underside of the tub.

No comments:

Post a Comment